That’s right, folks: It’s time to pick out a release name for Fedora 16.
And that process, like so much else that is Good in Fedora, starts with YOU. Name suggestions may be proposed March 3rd through March 10th. Yes, you read that right: TODAY. Right now. So get on over!
“But how, Robyn, how do I suggest a name?” you ask. A-ha! I’m delighted you did.
There is a lovely wiki page set up for your suggestions. That page also happens to contain the rules and other good stuff which will be helpful to you in your journey to pick out yet another EPIC NAME.
AND NOW: The fine print. I know, you were looking forward to this part, right?
- There must be an “is-a” link between the name Lovelock, which is the Fedora 15 release name, and the name you pick. (For example: Fedora 14 was codenamed “Laughlin”; the link — Laughlin IS A city in Nevada, and so is Lovelock.)
- The link must be different from previous links for Fedora release names. In other words: You cannot pick another city name. Nor can you pick rocket scientists, etc. You can check out the history of release names for information on all the links previously used.
- Names of living people and well-known trademarks will also likely be rejected.
To give a lighthearted translation of the above:
- Unless you can find a link between “Lovelock” and “Beefy Miracle,” that name will likely be rejected. (For the record: I will give you one American dollar if you can find that link.)
- “Bacon” has been rejected numerous times. For a variety of reasons. Just sayin’.
- (I still fully expect that “Bacon” will be the first suggestion.)
- “Lovelock is a correctional facility where O.J. Simpson has spent time, and so is _________________,” is *probably* in bad taste. Also: Charlie Sheen is alive (although possibly living on a different planet); thus, “Fedora 16: Charlie Sheen” will also not work, despite any link you may find. Please, use your Adonis DNA to come up with something better!
I challenge you to come up with a creative name.
Oh, of course: You want to know what I’m coming up with. I will be exploring the following avenue to see if it is a total dead-end, or has something interesting to think about:
Lovelock is a group of words comprising the first two syllables of the songname “Love Lockdown,” by Kanye West, off the album 808s and Heartbreak.
Also, I just happen to enjoy shaking my booty to that song.
I will be exploring various possible links, including, “Is there another song that is generically named enough to not get the pants sued off us that would be an interesting release name,” or even, “Love Lock(down) is a song that Robyn enjoys shaking her booty to, and so is _________________________.”
(Okay, not really on the last one. And no, “Fedora 16: Baby Got Back” IS NOT AN OPTION. Seriously.)